Monday, August 11, 2008

The BEST advice I’ve ever received

This year marked the sixth anniversary of my dad’s passing. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss him. Yet his legacy lives through myself and my children through the advice he gave.

One nugget of advice which took me until my adult years to appreciate was given to me back in my little league and tiny tot soccer days. No matter what team I was on, I was usually one of the smallest players. Which means one of the slower. One of the weaker. One of the bench warmers. Naturally.

The first time he told it to me, I didn’t heed its wisdom. Pretty much ignored it, I suppose. After one of my usual lackluster soccer games, he sat me down and told me, “Don’t wait for the ball to come to you.”

“Um, Ok?” I went about my childhood and continued to ride the bench. Years passed and I became better and better at sports. Unfortunately, so did everyone else.

I remember one game specifically. Somehow, we made it to the championship round. And somehow, I was on the field. I was the last man — or scrawny kid — between the boy with the soccer ball and the goalie. And rather than do my usual move of, well, not moving and waiting for the ball to come to me, something compelled me to run.

I ran full speed after the opposing player. In fact, I ran so fast, I went right by him without touching the ball. But perhaps it startled him and he ended up tripping. The ball rolled slowly toward the goalie and we preserved an important win.

From that point on, I never waited for the ball to come to me. And somehow, that one piece of advice enabled me to stay competitive with kids that were much bigger, much faster and much stronger.

Today, I try to use my dad’s timeless advice in just about everything I do. Whether it’s business, investing, playing with my kids, playing tennis, or working out I always try to be proactive and not wait for the ball to come to me.

Most people wait for the ball. They wait to get laid off before improving their skills and finding their ideal career. They wait until their marriage hits rock bottom before going to a counselor. They wait until the doctor tells them the bad news before they eat right and exercise.

Sure, it takes work to run after the ball. But the rewards are worth it. Thanks Dad.

One man who will tell you like it is and encourage you to run after the ball is Larry Winget. His outrageous personality and electric approach shocks you into taking those first uncomfortable steps. Once www.improveyourself.com is live, he will be front and center giving you free advice.

No comments: